Sarsaparilla is a tropical plant that grows in rainforests in regions including South America, Jamaica, the Caribbean, Mexico, Honduras, and the West Indies. It has long been used by indigenous people in the treatment of arthritis and skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It has also been shown to be beneficial to the liver and to have anti-cancer properties.
When people hear the word sarsaparilla, they may think of it as the flavoring agent in root beer. However, while root beer can be flavored with sarsaparilla, it is more commonly flavored with sassafras. Sarsaparilla, on the other hand, has been made into its own carbonated drink of the same name. It has a root beer-like flavor and either drink will taste great when made into a float.
If you are looking to get the benefits of sarsaparilla to enjoy it as a drink or to take it for it’s healing properties, read on to find out how to grow sarsaparilla in your home.
How to Grow Sarsaparilla
Sarsaparilla grows best in the winter so seeds or roots should be planted in late fall. Here are the steps you will have to take if you choose to propagate from seed.
1. Plant seeds in a shady spot in well drained soil.
2. Loosen the top 2 inches of soil with a trowel.
3. Plant seeds in rows, water lightly and pat down soil gently.
4. If the site is bare, scatter a few handfuls of shredded bark mulch over the area. Replace leaf litter regularly and water consistently (about twice a week).
5. Transplant seedlings when they are about 6 inches high.
You can also grow sarsaparilla by propagating from the roots. Here are the steps in this process.
1. Dig up roots and cut in 4 inch segments.
2. Lay root segments in the planting bed. Cover with 2 inch soil and a layer of bark mulch. Transplant plants from bed during their second spring.
Note: Germination rates are typically low and some seeds may not grow until their second winter in the ground.
Those of us who have a green thumb will enjoy growing our own sarsaparilla. But if you don’t have the time or talent to devote to this task, you may choose to buy it from a retailer instead.
When buying supplements from a retailer, you want to go with a brand that makes products that are as pure and potent as possible. For starters, try supplements from the Herb Pharm brand.
Herb Pharm specializes in liquid herbal extracts that are recommended for boosting wellness in people of all ages. They have their own farmlands where they grow the herbs they use in their products. Their line includes a wide variety of supplements including their sarsaparilla extract.
Sarsaparilla is a beneficial supplement that can greatly improve quality of life. Now that you know how to grow sarsaparilla, you may choose to try gardening it, or you may prefer to buy it from a retailer. Either way you are sure to come out ahead.