A quick trip to the city has been fun for those who live in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Upstate New York since the beginning of time — but most visitors stick to Manhattan’s tourist attractions instead of venturing outside. Which is too bad, because cuisine is one thing the city is known for, and you have to leave Manhattan to experience the very best options. In Queens, NYC, you’ll find some of the best ethnic foods anywhere in the world!
- Head to Trattoria L’incontro for divine Italian delights. You’ll find a long list of fine wine perfectly paired to suit common dishes like brick-oven pizza, antipasto, and more. This restaurant is extremely popular, though, so you’ll probably need to make a reservation in advance if you want to enjoy what it has to offer.
- Comfort food will always have a place on vacation. For traditional American fare head to Harry’s at Water Taxi Beach, where you’ll get to experience 2008’s Burger Battle of the Borough champion for only a small price.
- We’re not sure why you would go to NYC for Mexican cuisine when there is so much else to try, but sometimes you just can’t afford the trip to Los Angeles! Taqueria Coatzingo will throw all the traditional favorites at you without forcing you to break open the piggy bank. Most people come here for the $2, fully customizable tacos.
- The immensely popular New York pizza is obviously a staple, but you’ll find one of the best thin-crust pizzas at John’s Pizzeria. One slice will only set you back only $2.25, which is why you’ll see so many people stopping by on their lunch break.
- If you’ve never experienced Greek food, then you absolutely must head over to Taverna Kyclades for calamari, gyros, or kebabs. The Kyclades Special is a popular meal option full of stuffed clams and shrimp, sole, scallops, and lobster. But if you’ve never tried a Greek restaurant’s marinated lamb gyro and Greek salad, then don’t leave before you have.
- Find the sweetest dessert at Eddie’s Sweet Shop, a quaint ice cream parlor with all your favorite flavors and toppings.
- If all you need is a quick caffeine injection, then take a walk to Sweet Leaf for some of the best espresso concoctions you’ll have tried.
- People fall into two categories: those who are obsessed with curry, and those who hate it. The Jackson Diner specializes in traditional Indian plates like spicy tandoori chicken, or curry combinations chock full of vegetables, chicken, and lamb. You’ll also have the opportunity to listen to Bollywood music or suck down an imported beer.