The keto diet is a low-carbohydrate diet named by the processes that occur in the body in a low-glucose state. Moreover, the keto diet aims to create this state so as to facilitate the weight loss.
People that practice the keto diet know that by decreasing or completely restricting the daily intake of carbs, they stimulate their body to turn to alternative source of energy rather than glucose. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose that body uses as a source of energy. In the case of carbs deprivation our body activates the mechanism of using the stored fat as alternative source of energy, therefore converting the fatty acids into ketones. Ketones are taken up by almost all cells within the body, acting as a very high energy fuels.
Carbohydrates are macronutrients that are stored in our body. Proteins, on the other hand, cannot be stored and used later, therefore, in a case of low-carb diet, increased protein intake is a must. Proteins are great source of amino acids that produce energy for the cells that cannot use ketones as a fuel. Healthy fats are also a great part of a keto diet.
The keto friendly foods listed below are low in carbs and high in other important nutrients, helping you maintain a good health, while losing some bad fat.
“Copyright: Unsplash/author: I Yunmai / I License: CC0 Public Domain”
Keto Food List
The quality rather than quantity of nutrients is important in any diet for maintaining a good health and achieving great results. Keeping this in mind, you can create your own meal plan, and to help you with that, we made a keto food list that can be helpful for beginners.
1. Eggs –are a very healthy food. They are very suitable for keto diet since an egg contains no more than 1g of carbs and is a great source of proteins.
2. Vegetables – are high in fiber, low in calories and they contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Most vegetables are very low in carbs. Vegetables that are considerate as the most keto friendly are: cucumbers, broccoli, bell peppers, asparagus, spinach, cauliflower, zucchini, avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, garlic, cabbage.
3. Mushrooms – are a great food. They are extremely low in carbs and high in protein. Very suitable and recommended in the daily meals of keto diet.
4. Dairy products:
· Cheese is a delicious food that is low in carbs but very high in fat, most of which is saturated fat. This means that cheese is keto friendly but it is not recommended to be used in large amounts. However, for a keto dieter it is important to have cheese in the daily meals as it is high in protein and calcium.
· Greek yogurt is highly recommended even though it contains some carbs. It is highly versatile and healthy food that can be combined with many foods and even consumed as a snack on its own.
5. Oils – ketosis benefits greatly from the coconut oil and the olive oil.
· Coconut oil is highly recommended for a keto diet as it contains triglycerides that are taken by the liver and converted into ketones. Moreover, coconut oil is known to have a lot of health benefits and helps and promotes losing fat even when the person is not practicing any diet or restriction.
· Olive oil – as a salad is a great deal of a daily meal plan, olive oil is the ideal salad dressing while providing numerous benefits. Many studies show that olive oil is high in antioxidants which protect the heart health. Therefore, it is the best choice to add to your food when you are on keto diet.
6. Nuts and seeds – are great food that should be a part of any meal or dietary plan. They are high in healthy fats and very low in carbs. They are high in fiber and may even help in weight regulation when consumed reasonably. Moreover, nuts and seeds can be added to many meals and make a good tasty recipes.
· Nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, macadamia and Brazilian nuts.
· Seeds: chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
7. Fruits – are nature’s candy, and are a delightful dessert when you are on restrictive diet. Many fruits are high in carbs andt people avoid them when they want to lose weight because of the amount of sugar they contain. However, berries are considered to be keto friendly. Moreover, they are loaded with antioxidants, high in fiber and very tasty.
· Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries are all suitable for a keto diet.
· Lemons are very powerful fruit as well, containing a great amount of vitamin C and no carbs at all. It’s not a nature’s candy but you can use it in your salads and meals and enjoy its benefits.
“Copyright: Unsplash/author:Jan Sedivy / I License: CC0 Public Domain”
Keto Diet Supplements
Sticking to a dietary plan that is very restrictive can be challenging especially when you are busy with work. Therefore, it can be difficult to have a high-fat and high-protein keto meals throughout the day. Unfortunately, this is the reason why many people don’t stick to the dietary plan. The good news is, there are clean and quality supplements that can get you through the day.
On-the-go keto shakes are a tasty supplements filled with all the nutrients your body needs. The advanced formulations and quality ingredients keto supplements are made from, have made keto lifestyle easy to maintain. Moreover, they will save you time and money and significantly lower your cravings.