Cooking with children is a great way to bond with them. What’s more, it helps kids develop essential skills like measuring, reading, and following directions. It also helps them improve their motor skills and hand eye coordination.
If you are looking to cook with your kids more often, there are plenty of simple recipes you may want to try. Here are a few suggestions.
Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich Recipe
This is a take on an old classic that makes for a healthy and tasty lunch.
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 medium banana thinly sliced
1. Mix peanut butter, honey and cinnamon. Add chocolate chips. Spread on to one slice of bread. Add banana slices. Top with a second piece of bread. Makes two sandwiches.
Kiddie Crunch Mix Recipe
This will be a great one to make if you’re planning to cuddle up in front of the TV or if you’re having guests over.
- 1 cup animal crackers, plain or frosted
- 1 cup bear shaped crackers
- 1 cup miniature pretzels
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup M&M’s
- 1 cup yogurt of chocolate covered raisins
1. Mix all ingredients and serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
2. Eat and enjoy!
Cheesy Quesadilla Recipe
This one is sure to be a lunch or dinner time fave.
- 4 flour or whole wheat tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup salsa
1. Place tortillas on a grilled baking sheet. Combine cheese and salsa and spread over tortillas. Fold tortillas.
2. Broil 4” from heat for 3 minutes a side or until they turn golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve.
Apple Yogurt Parfaits
You can’t go wrong when serving these apple yogurt parfaits for breakfast or as a midday snack.
- 1 cup sweetened applesauce
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granola with raisins
- 1 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1. Combine applesauce and nutmeg in a small bowl. Spoon 1 tbsp granola into four parfait glasses (1 tbsp per glass). Layer each with 1 cup yogurt and a ¼ cup applesauce. Sprinkle with remaining granola and serve.
Getting the Right Ingredients
When you cook, you want to use ingredients that are as healthy as possible. Not only will this ensure you are eating right, it will teach your children about healthy eating when you cook with them.
Natural Healthy Concepts offers sugar-free sweeteners, raw honey, and all-natural supplements to boost wellness. Their products are rich in nutrients and flavor.
Cooking with your children makes for a great bonding opportunity and it can also help them learn valuable life skills. What meals will you be making with your kids this summer?