Thai food is globally accepted to be some of the finest in the world, as Thai restaurants can be found in every major city, and if you are planning a holiday in the Land of Smiles, you will no doubt be looking forward to authentic Thai cooking.
Here are a few things about Thai cuisine that might surprise you.
- Coconut Milk – You probably know that many of the delicious Thai curries are made with coconut milk, but what might surprise you is the method the Thais use to harvest coconuts. They train monkeys to climb the trees and pick only the ripe fruits that come crashing down to the ground, and when the animal has inspected a tree, he leaps to the next to save time. If you visit the tropical island of Koh Samui, you can visit a monkey training school, where they are trained on how to tell a ripe nut from one that is not yet ready for consumption.
- Diversity of Rice – If you thought that rice was only consumed boiled or fried, you’ll be pleased to learn there are many Thai desserts made from rice, some of which can be sampled when you book at an exclusive Chaweng Beach resort, one of the island’s premier stretches of coastline. Many of these exotic sweet dishes cannot be found outside of Thailand and once tasted, are never forgotten.
- Regional Cuisine – Thai food can be divided into regions; the northern part of Thailand has its own unique cuisine, using locally grown produce and over the centuries, special dishes have been created. Southern Thai food is the spiciest of all, with tiny peppers that are extremely hot, so do take care if you are not into very spicy foods. The north-eastern part of the country has some dishes that are exclusive to the region, using a paste made from tiny fish and this is definitely an acquired taste!
- Healthy Eating – While Thai cuisine is known to be delicious, many people don’t realise that Thai food is also very healthy. Obesity is uncommon in Thailand, due partly to a well-balanced diet that includes lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, plus they are active people. There are not high levels of cholesterol and using only organic ingredients, you are not exposed to E numbers and the chemicals that can be found in processed foods.
- Unique Cuisine – Thailand is the only South East Asian nation not to be colonised, and this means their cuisine is undiluted and not influenced so much by other cultures. That’s why they have unique dishes that cannot be found elsewhere, and if you have sampled Thai food in a foreign country, it won’t be the same as if it were prepared in Thailand.
Thai food is unique and if you are planning a holiday in this amazing country, the cuisine will be one of the highlights of your experience.